Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians! I’m so glad Canada Day falls on a Friday this year so we can all enjoy a nice, relaxing long weekend. (That goes for those of you Americans that are off on Monday as well!) Now that July is here and summer is in full swing, it’s time to recap my successes and failures with my June goals, and tell you a little bit about my goal for this month: a No Buy July!
But first, let’s check in on my goals for June:
- Continue going to the gym: Check! I’ve been attending the weekly Zumba and yoga classes at my office gym that I mentioned last month. That means I’ve been heading in to work at 7am on Wednesdays for 9 weeks now!
- Pack 5+ meals per week: …Almost. If I average it out over the four weeks, I’m short by about half a meal per week. But it was definitely an improvement from my habits this past spring.
- Run (once): 200% accomplished! That’s right, folks, I went to the gym for a run TWO WHOLE TIMES! (This is a big deal for me.) Okay, so I didn’t run very far or very fast, but it HAPPENED.
- Garden: Success! Stay tuned for my garden update, coming this weekend!
- Keep up with blogging: My pace slowed way down this month in terms of blogging, but at least it didn’t grind to an absolute halt. And I’ll be honest, it would have been easier to just lay on the couch watching Netflix and not blog at all, so I’ll count this as a success.
I’d call that a pretty successful month, wouldn’t you say? The best part is that none of these goals feel like a stretch anymore, and they feel more like a routine, which is awesome. I figure I’ll work to maintain most of these goals in the background for the coming month, and focus on more of a stretch goal for July. Which brings us to…
No Buy July!
What is No Buy July?
Well, it’s exactly what it sounds like: it’s a July in which you don’t buy anything. It’s not really an official thing, but I’ve seen it pop up on other blogs and forums, and it can mean different things to different people. My definition will be:
- No unnecessary expenditures.
- Necessary expenditures include:
- Food and sundries
- Gas, or alternate transportation (if necessary)
- My movie ticket if my dad decides he is super adamant about going to see Independence Day 2 even though it’s probably terrible
- Unnecessary expenditures include:
- All other movie tickets
- Expenses for entertainment
- Material products, i.e.
- Home stuff
- Cat stuff
- David’s Tea tins (don’t let me pretend that counts as groceries…)
- Dining out (I’m going to exclude lunch at work, and a coffee now and then. I don’t want to starve. Or get cranky.)
Whew. Listing it out makes it sound like a really boring July. But there are lots of things to do that don’t cost money! (Plus, with my new position at work, I have less free time to spend worrying about not having enough stuff… Silver linings, right?)
So why am I doing this? There are a couple of reasons.
- My credit card bill this past month hurt my heart.
- My spending this past month was basically a bunch of little stuff that all added up. My guess is that it’s a systemic issue.
- I’d love to beef up my savings.
- I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about what I don’t have that I haven’t left time to focus on what I do have. It feels like an unhealthy mindset, and I want to detox from it for a while.
- I was thinking about doing a No Buy June. But it didn’t rhyme. July it is!
That’s the plan in a nutshell! I hope to post some updates throughout the month if I face any particular challenges or develop any meaningful insights. It’s time to get saving!
What are your goals this month? Will you be joining me for No Buy July?